The Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Trials (German abbrev. IZKS) is an academic coordination center for clinical trials and a central facility of the University Medical Center Mainz (UMC). As an expert in clinical research, IZKS established collaboration with numerous academic and non-academic hospitals, private physicians, public health organisations, pharmaceutical and medical device industry partners and clinical trial networks in Germany and several other European countries contributing to consulting for as well as planning, coordination, evaluation and publication of clinical trials. Furthermore, IZKS supports all clinical departments of UMC in patient-oriented research by improving qualification of clinical trial personnel.
IZKS has been founded in 1999 in order to strengthen patient-oriented, clinical research at UMC under its former name, Coordination Center for Clinical Trials Mainz (KKS Mainz). From 2007 to 2015, IZKS received funding as one out of five “coordination centers for clinical trials” at German universities by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). The funding has been provided to optimise clinical research and strengthen Germany as an important research location within the medical care area.
- Clinical research for medical advance
- Sustainable enhancement of quality, quantity and efficiency of Investigator Initiated Trials (IITs)
- Professional, GCP compliant consulting, planning, coordination, evaluation and publication of clinical trials in accordance with all applicable legal requirements
- Profound expertise of all relevant national and international regulations (e.g. ICH, AMG and MPG)
- Well-established quality management
- Efficient IT support for individual solutions
- Organisation of certified trainings and seminars; organisation of in-house trainings upon request
- Experienced and dedicated personnel
- Tailored solutions: Full service offerings as well as coordination of single clinical project tasks
- Strong partners, e.g. UMC Pharmacy (medical manufacturing authorisation according to §13 German Drug Law (AMG)); Institute of Medical Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Informatics (IMBEI); Central Laboratory
- Closely connected to all clinical departments and institutions of UMC and its academic teaching hospitals
- Collaboration with numerous academic and non-academic hospitals, private physicians, public health organisations and pharmaceutical and medical device industry partners in and outside of Germany.